Homemade Cream of Tomato Soup
Prep Time 10 min
Cook Time 20 min
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ medium white onion, chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 to 3 cups Dean’s Dairy milk.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Basil leaves for garnish, if desired
- In 2-quart saucepan heat olive oil over medium high heat; add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender (2 to 3 minutes). Add tomatoes, parsley and baking soda. Continue cooking until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low; cook 10 minutes. Stir in basil and honey.
- Stir in 2 to 3 cups milk depending on desired consistency. Cook, over medium high heat, until heated through (2 to 3 minutes). Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with basil leaves as garnish, if desired.